So, to continue with our Wedding Trends 2011 series, today we’re going to talk about food. Wedding food trends have been changing in recent years and couples are able to be far more creative than before with their approach to their wedding party or reception. In 2011, we think this will continue…
* Informality – wedding receptions will become increasingly informal, in an attempt to create a casual day where guests can celebrate and enjoy with the couple.
* Reception formats – we already mentioned combined table styles (round, square and long tables in the same venue) as a 2011 wedding trend from the States. Now, to join this, we’re advocating long, tea-party style tables. This is a nice reference to traditional British street parties and is great for a vintage touch, for example.
* If our reception set-ups are becoming more informal, then so is the food. Tapas-style menus, curries or buffets are all great for sharing and socialising (check out our post on Alternative Wedding Food for more ideas).
* Food vans – once again, bringing a seriously informal vibe to your do, hire out a hot dog stand or what about an ice-cream van? Or if you really wanna create a carnival atmosphere, what about a candy floss stand?!
* Vegan wedding food and cakes. If you’re a vegan, you might already know about options, but the good news is that caterers and cake-makers are becoming increasingly flexible and including gorgeous vegan dishes and menus in their portfolio.
* Pot-luck receptions – ask your friends to bring along a dish and share!
* Whoopie pies – cupcakes are out, so they say…
Let us know of any ideas that you might have for your wedding reception food!
Source: The Bride’s Diary