The perfect wedding speech
We’ve all been to weddings where the best man’s speech has drunkenly embarrassed the bride and the groom, the father of the bride has been overcome with emotion and can barely get his words out and the groom has bored everyone to tears with an endless description of the couple’s miraculous journey to the alter.
No one wants that mortifying “Four Weddings and a Funeral” moment, or worse, have the embarrassing speeches become a YouTube sensation. Despite spending thousands on their big day most couples and members of the wedding party rarely give much thought to the speeches. But a great speech can make a wedding a memorable occasion and a bad one can ruin it.
As a professional speechwriter I’ve written hundreds and hundreds of wedding speeches for the best man, the groom, the father of the bride and other members of the wedding party, and it always amazes me that despite the incredible attention to detail, amount of money and time people spend planning their wedding very few give much thought or attention to the speeches. Ironically, most people remember the speeches more than anything else and while thousands of pounds are spent on the wedding few people realise that for about the same amount of money that most brides spend on their bouquet they can get a professional wedding speech written.
There’s a lot of pressure to get that speech right, and it is amazing what an effect the quality of speeches can have on the success of a wedding. Here are my top five reasons why hiring a professional speech writer to write the speeches will add sparkle and magic to the big day.
A professional speechwriter will:
1. Create a truly original speech. Provide original and authentic content. Weddings are blighted by a culture of cut and paste internet jokes and phrases, leading to speeches that are indistinguishable from wedding to wedding. Wouldn’t it be lovely to say something genuinely unique about your bride, daughter or best friend?
2. Provide content that your guests want to hear.No more embarrassing, boring or inappropriate content. A professional can help you relay a cheeky story about the Groom without causing offense, boast about your daughter without it sounding smug, and include a list of thank yous into the speech so no one quite realises how many people you have mentioned.
3. Ensure a succinct message. A professional can ensure your speech weaves together all your stories, ideas and thank yous into a coherent, seamless script. Long stories and complicated relationships can be summed up in small and interesting sound bites.
4. Use as few words as possible. It’s only possible to deliver a brilliant speech if your script allows it. A professional understands the benefit of writing in short, punchy sentences and the importance of including natural pauses into your script.
If you have guests that don’t speak English, you will enjoy reading our bilingual wedding speeches.
5. Add a bit of magic. You want a speech that you enjoy delivering, your audience love listening to, and one that is remembered for all the right reasons. A great speech writer can make this happen. It’s no different to the wedding dress maker who transforms a piece of white cloth into something fit for a Princess.
If you want to see more beautiful wedding photos please visit Marianne Taylor Photography.
Are you a weddings expert? Would you like to be a guest blogger for Zankyou? Contact us!